Wattle Park Primary has a formal buddy program between Year 6 students and foundation students. The purpose of the Wattle Park Primary Buddies Program is to promote a sense of caring, responsibility, leadership and friendship in both older and younger students.
It also provides younger students with a security and support network with older students in the school community, in particular with the year 6 students who can demonstrate how to positively role model our values and norms.
Overview and guidelines
- Year 5 students will be involved in supporting the Foundation Transition program in the term 4 prior to the foundation students commencing at school.
- Students from Foundation will be paired with year 6 students. If numbers permit, the pairs will be gender matched.
- For organisational purposes, a Foundation class will be matched with a Year 6 group of students in one class, wherever possible.
- This program will commence in the first weeks of the school year, so that the Foundation students can be supported and guided in their new school environment.
- Many opportunities for the students to develop their relationships will be provided through planned experiences both within the classrooms programs and through the wider school programs.
- The students will share regular lunchtimes together and experiences that will offer opportunities to develop richer and deeper learning, including supporting the level 1 literacy and numeracy program.